Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vintage Wire Whisk

 




What was I thinking – making homemade macaroni and cheese for twenty people--- Where were my Kraft or Velveeta boxes of ready-made Mac and Cheese??

It was too late - the noodles were boiling, the cheese was grated and milk measured.

Now came the daunting task of pouring the milk into the sauce pan and adding flour. This was my point of failure-- always the same result - lumps.
But in the very back of a kitchen drawer two weeks earlier  I had found a wire whisk and not just any wire whisk - it was vintage (so it must be good)  No more pouring flour into a cup, adding water and shaking vigorously and hoping for some semblance of a sauce. This whisk is amazing.
For the first time I no longer have to strain the substance to remove the lumps.  
The sauce was perfectly smooth and the Mac-n-cheese was devoured by all. Is it silly to express joy over a kitchen tool? A little help now and then is all we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment